Monday, May 11, 2009

A Weekend to Remember

Last weekend, Keith & I took off to Greenville, SC for a Family Life "Weekend to Remember" Conference. We've been to a number of marriage conferences in the past, however this was our first in approximately 7 years. We spend so much time together with pre-married couples, counseling them and praying that God will use us to prepare them for the best marriage possible. Knowing it's important to refuel and take time to assess and work on our own relationship in order to be most effective in counseling others, we were excited to have been blessed with the opportunity to attend the conference. Great conference - great information - highly recommended. It challenged us to look at and work through some important areas of our relationship. It was great to have some time alone with my hubby (uninterrupted by toddler or blackberry : ), a little extra rest, and time to talk through some personal thoughts without distraction.

What did I take away from the weekend? My husband is a gift from God! I love him with all my heart and wouldn't want to do life with any one else. This life is short and God brought us together to accomplish His purpose, not just to live "happily ever after" making babies in marital bliss. [Bliss - defined by The Free Dictionary online - extreme happiness, ecstasy]

The cool thing - understanding our mission as a couple/family, staying focused on Christ and remaining centered around this purpose, we
CAN live in marital bliss! Will we argue, fight, and struggle at times? Absolutely! It's important to note, however, bliss is also defined by The Free Dictionary online as spiritual joy. The joy of fulfilling our purpose as a family and leaving a Godly legacy will far outweigh the struggles we may face - that, my friends, is marital bliss!

As for the Devine's...our mission is clear! I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband at my side.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mandy. Great post! Is "Weekend to Remember" the conference you would recommend for Jose and me or are there others? I want to check this off my goal list and I'm super excited to finally get to go to a marriage conference!

    ReplyDelete